Thursday, January 19, 2012

Review: Cinder

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Pages: 390
Format: Print/Hard Covered
Published: January 3rd 2012
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
This was purchased by me

Ì am so excited I was finally able to read this book! Growing up, and honestly still now, I watch(ed) the Disney version based fairytales and just love(ed) them! Re-makings of fairytale's are always loved and fun to read/watch as well. They have so much character and their different which keeps the original interesting. Retelling's play an important role in keeping these original tales fun, new, intriguing, and not so boring. So of course when I found out about Cinder, I HAD to read it as soon as possible.

Cinder, the-not-so-traditional-heroin:
Cinder isn`t your ordinary heroin. She's a cyborg! How cool is that? I love how witty the author was about this. It takes some serious guts to change a well-loved princess into a cyborg with metal parts and caffs that can store stuff. Although this story was told in the third person, you can still feel connected to Cinder and feel that you actually know her. There are some bits about her past you don't find out until the end, but that is with good reason. Aside from this, I think Cinder was a well developed character. She had her strength's and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, and she had a purpose in life. She wasn't some sulking mechanic that complained and did nothing about her predicament. She had goals, was determined to complete these goals, and was just an overall lovable character. I must say, I am rather excited for the sequel to Cinder; it will be fully anticipated!

Prince Kai, the-traditional-prince-charming:
Prince Kai, is well, prince. This book takes place in futuristic China so when he becomes king he is actually becoming Emperor. Well, what can I say about Kai that doesn't involve his complete hot and amazingness? Er, I guess I can talk about his commitment to his people, his courageousness, his ability to not take shit from anyone, but that would be boring, right? You see from the beginning Prince Kai begins to love Cinder. This is to be expected, obviously, it's a Cinderella retelling! Unfortunately you don't get to see if he's a donkey's butt because we never do know if he accepts Cinder as a cyborg. I'm hoping he does because I think I'd have a hard time disliking him.

Plot, the-original-yet-not-so-original-plot:
Like everyone knows, this is a Cinderella retelling, so it isn't entirely original. Although this isn't spot on and has vast differences, the similar aspects are still there. That said, this is still a very original and interesting story. I mean cyborgs and androids? So creative and unique, especially for a Cinderella story! It was well paced that kept me well entertained and coming back for more. I feel I was told everything I needed to be told in  this book and everything said, done, created, written, in this book had a purpose. Well organized and overall a very creative plot. I couldn't believe the world Meyer created! I could never imagine a futuristic China with androids and cyborgs and Lunars from the moon! Also, Meyer's use of surprise and hints were awesome! I knew from the beginning what Cinder was, call it a hunch (which was approved in the ending), but I love how Meyer made you think something, but you back track and think against what you thought, but then re-think it, and then you're correct! It's so exciting!

Writing, the-fun-funny-interesting-writing:
This book had me laughing so often. Cinder had a rather funny sense of humor with a touch of sarcasm mixed in. Prince Kai has his own form of sarcasm-ness that made me fall in love with him again and again. Marissa has beautiful writing who really uses the wonderful stylistic device's of imagery and similes and metaphors. I love a good book I can picture in my head like a movie, and Cinder delivered that with Meyer's writing.

Overall this is a great book. Definitely my top favorites so far for this year, and probably ever! Looking forward to continuing this series next January.

My rating:
5 cyborg feet (hehehe)

Angela

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I absolutely loved this book when I read it as well.. and I can't believe we have to wait a year for the next one! I can't wait to see what happens.

    Andrea
    Cozy Up With A Good Read

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the 2nd positive review of this one I've seen. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^