Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Review: Need

Title: Need
Author: Carrie Jones
Pages: 306
Format: Hardcovered
Published: December 23rd 2008
Publisher: Bloomsbury

So I've had this one sitting on my book shelf since 2009. That was a long time ago. But I figured it was about time I read it. I must admit, I have mixed feelings about this one.

Need was truly a unique and original book. I've never read a book that was pixie based, so the concept was quite new to me. Although I've known about pixies, my favorite cartoon character being Tinker Bell, I had some vague knowledge on them. However, Need takes your green- squeaky-talking-pixie, and adds fangs and tallness to them. Warning, the pixies contained in this novel are not friendly. They'll eat you if you're male.

The beginning was slow and dull. The main character, Zara, is all depressed and gloomy. I get it, she just lost her step dad, but still. Perhaps Carrie, this wasn't a very good starting point? Hm? Who wants to dive into a book that begins all depressing? I sure as hell don't and actually almost gave up on it. But I stuck with it, so you should too.

The book finally takes off and you're sucked into the world of pixies! Ohhh, scary *heh heh heh*

Seriously, I would have given this book such a bad review and rating due to the extremely dull beginning, but I rather enjoyed the pixie aspect of it. Although the book doesn't get too much into pixie things, this book does touch on it and makes you want to continue the series to learn more about their culture. However, I find that there were more wolves than pixies. So if you think this is strictly a pixie book, you're wrong! Their are wolves and bears and eagles, so expect more than what the synopsis lets on.

The characters were alright, I suppose. Zara wasn't completely likable to me at the beginning. She's all depressed, gloomy, comparing everything to death. And she has a weird phobia fetish... weirdo! But eventually I did start to like her. I've read reviews of the later novels to this series and everyone claims that you really see her grow as a character. One can only hope. As for the other characters? There are her friends who are awesome and funny. Her grandma is no exception and you'll just love her. And than there is Nick. Of course he's the love interest in this book. I think everyone when reading this is all for Nick. I know I am. But I cheated and read somewhere *looks away* that Zara starts falling for someone else. Is this going to effect the second book for me? Definitely, but I'll live.

As for everything else, I really enjoyed where it took place. Okay, so I live in Canada where winters can get pretty bad. For the last few years our winters have completely suck, and in all honestly, I miss the snow. Not the gross, grey, slushy stuff. The white, fun, fluffy kind. So I think one day I just might move to Main, which is where the story takes place. It's really cold there and snowy. I like snowy ^.^

The writing was alright as well. Nothing special, maybe just average. The story went by rather fast, but I did feel some parts went by WAY too fast. Seriously, she was kidnapped and rescued in a matter of like 3 pages. What's that? C'mone, you gotta do better than that Carrie!

So the verdict? I'm currently reading the second book, Captivate. So that should slightly speak for itself. This series is definitely worth a look at.

3.5 ounces of pixie dust :)


Angela

2 comments:

  1. I've also had this on my list forever. Pixies that eat males, I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, YEAH!! Pixies that EAT males. Can you picture little Tinker Bell ever doing that?? Gah, barbaric but definitely intriging :P

      Delete

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^