Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Review: Divergent

Finally, seriously, I thought I'd never have the opportunity to write a book review. However, here I am! I realise I've been neglecting my blog, and I truly hate that, but you have to understand school right now is my top priority. I have to keep my grades up in order to keep my admissions to the universities I've applied to. But I've had some spare time and so I was finally able to get through Divergent, so please do enjoy this long awaited review. I do posts when ever I can. I'm not the type of blogger that writes "filler" posts, if you know what I mean. If I have something to share with you guys, I share it. If I have a WOW then I write a WOW post. If I don't, I don't. But thank you for those who have stuck around and await patiently for my any future posts! April will be a much better month. I promise :)

Title: Divergent
Author: Veronica Roth
Pages: 487
Format: Print/ Hard Covered
Publication Date: May 3rd 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

Where do I even begin? There has been so much praise about this book, I fear this review will probably mean dejavu for many of you that have read other reviews on it. Nonetheless, I feel I have to get my thoughts and feelings across, so let us begin.

This book was amazing. Such an incredibly vague and over used word, but it seriously was. From page 1 up to page 487, Miss. Roth had my full attention. There was always something going on, whether it be big or small, it made it virtually impossible to ever want to put this book down. I must admit, the timing was not right for the reading of this book as all during March I was considerably busy.

Word of advise? Make sure you read this book when you have the time! It will save you a lot of book torture. This is one big book, chalk-full of events that will make you want to read until the very end, so it would be wise to consider your time.

Aside from that, the characters I promise you, will not disappoint. Divergent is the perfect example of book with well crafted characters. Our main character, Tris, was probably the best character I've ever read about. You see her grow as a human being throughout the book, and you see her weaknesses and strengths and how they effect her. You see her become the person she ought to be, not the person society wants her to be. You see that in today's society, of people being what society tells them to be. Props to Tris for going against this. I must say actually, props to all the people in this dystopian world that did what they thought was best. I think it's what makes the characters so likable. And Four, you ask, yeah he was pretty darn amazing and will be the male protagonist you'll fall head over heels for. He won't disappoint either.

Overall, the story line was well laid out with no plot holes, and it was actually interesting. I can't say there was ever a time I was bored while reading this. There is so much described and created in this dystopian world, that the writing was there, but you don't see it. All you see is this world Roth has imagined and created using her imagination. It was quite incredible. This book will never bore you!

One last thing I just have to note: That ending was incredible! It was the best, most satisfying ending ever! Its not really a major cliff hanger, it was actually a good conclusion. Really, a lot of authors suck at conclusions. Don't deny it. But Veronica Roth created the most amazing ending that didn't leave me tormented, or not wanting me to read the next book, but it left me satisfied, still making me want the sequel, but deal- able. I can actually live my life without the ending replaying in my mind. So thank you Roth for such a great ending.

Ultimately, this is the best book I have ever read. All year, and every year. It has made its mark in spot number one. I will be feverishly awaiting the sequel, Insurgent!

Questions: What Faction do you think you'd choose?
My Answer: Probably Abnegation, because I'm the type of person that always thinks of the other. Always.
How about you?

 photo 5star.png


Angela

7 comments:

  1. Most reviews I've read everyone loved the book but I'm in the minority. I didn't like the beginning and the idea of just five factions. I will say that it picked up for me in the end but I don't think I'll be continuing on with Insurgent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, if the real world we lived in only included Five Factions, I'd probably hate it. But for Tris' world, it made for an incredible story, anyways. Though thinking about it, it makes me love my government (even though I usually hate it).

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the review! I NEED to read this book, every book blogger seems to be raving about it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You DO need to read this book. And the good thing is, Insurgent comes out next month, so you won't have to wait long to read the second if you got to reading Divergent now :)

      Delete
  3. Anonymous6.4.12

    Girl when you review you review. That was an astounding review for someone who's been out of the game for a bit. Congrats on being amazing. I'm currently reading this book on the side. I'm only like 30 pages into it, but now, after "Uncommon Criminals," I'm going to sit and read this today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I was actually having a lot of trouble with this one because I couldn't quite find the right words to describe how awesome this book was. Yes, you definitely sould girl!!! This is my all time favorite this year. I hope you love it as much as I did!!

      Thanks again!!!

      Sorry for the double comment!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^