Monday, November 14, 2011

Review: Dear John

Title: Dear John
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Pages: 276
Format: Print/Hardcover
Published: December 1st 2009
Publisher: Warner Books

This past week has been the most hectic week I've ever lived, and I've lived through many weeks. This review would have been up days ago if the book was finished days ago, which I was hoping to have finished by Thursday. My guinea pig had surgery last Tuesday and so now I have to hand feed him 5 times a day which takes me about an hour and a half. My only reasoning for not having finished the book sooner. Now, enough of my excuses, let's continue shall we?

Goodreads synopsis: An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life--until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who has captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. "Dear John," the letter read...and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love—and face the hardest decision of his


What can I say, this book was marvelous. Nicholas Sparks has always been my favorite romance writer. I cannot believe a man is capable of writing such emotional and romantic books. And here I thought all men cared about was sex. Dear John is a perfect example of why Sparks proves me wrong

The first chapter/prologue of this book was a little slow. I remember sitting down, reading it and wondering when John would shut up. The thing is, in that little part, John talks endlessly of his life, growing up, living with his dad, past girlfriends and friends. I would have preferred if we learned more about him throughout the book instead of all at once. Nonetheless, I soon got over it and moved on.

I really enjoyed reading the story in John's point of view. It was interesting, sad, heartbreaking and emotional. I don't know why but I love reading novels that have a man/boy's POV. It's so different from what I normally read. Haven't you noticed most YA novels either have a narrator speaking or it's in the POV of a girl/women? Yeah, it gets a little old after a while. Sometimes I enjoy new things.

Savannah, the women John will forever love, is a goody-to shoes. That bothered me. She whined and made excuses and overall, I could care less about her. She broke John's heart! How could I ever like her again, hm? I guess really the only reason why I hate her is because she broke John's heart. I can't help it, I love John. I feel for him.

The overall story line of this was amazing. I will admit to crying at some parts. Nicholas Sparks' novels tend to do that to me. The writing is just so elegant and emotional. It definitely tugs at the heart strings. Its very moving and uplifting. Inspiring even. It was beautiful and full of love. If you like that sort of thing then you'll love this. If you're not into sappy love stories, then this is NOT for you.

Rating:
5 curly pig tails


Side Note: This is nothing like the movie. As I was reading along I thought to myself, "Wow, this is so different." After finishing Dear John I went ahead and watched the movie again. There was so many different things happening in the movie from the book that I just enjoyed the movie as a movie instead of a 'book into a movie.' Dear John is not the type of book that can be transformed into film. There is just know way. That said, I still suggest seeing the movie and reading the book. Both are beautiful stories; In their own way of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Shoot me a message down below. My squeal is worse than my snort ^.^